Thursday, August 14, 2008

Biscuits v Suns

My hometown minor league baseball team, the Biscuits, were in Jacksonville to play the Suns. The daily thunderstorms in Jacksonville these past few weeks has not been favorable for baseball. These guys don’t play in the rain and the thunderstorms seem to hit around game time. I work across the St. Johns River from the baseball park, so if it’s storming here at 6pm it’s storming there too. Somehow, the Suns get the games in. I have passed on several opportunities to attend a game only to find the next day that they played to completion. Not sure how much of a delay was involved, but since I am in Jacksonville to work and not to have fun, I cannot invest in a late night game and get to work the next morning. I have my priorities.

The Biscuits won Tuesday night’s game with the Suns. The promotion that night was fifty cent hot dogs. How many of those can one eat… $1.50 worth? The promotion for Wednesday night was far more attractive. Show a Sam’s Club membership card and get $2.00 off of the ticket price. The first one thousand folks through the gate received a Phil `Knucksie` Niekro Hall Of Fame baseball and a certificate for one of the free giveaway goodies being offered for `Christmas In August`. It was an opportunity to clean out the prize closet at the ballpark. The items displayed on the table were puffy soft baseballs, flip flops, plastic water bottles, flashlights, mini personal battery-powered fans (which had LEDs that spelled out `Jacksonville Suns` as they flashed across the spinning fan blades), coin purses and bobbleheads. I chose the commemorative Nolan Ryan bobblehead. I could not determine from his stats when he played for Jacksonville but my bobblehead Nolan Ryan is wearing a Suns #34 uniform so it must be true. Minor league teams change affiliations from time to time and the Suns are currently a Los Angeles Dodgers team.

I wore my Biscuits hat to the game and saw some other folks wearing their Biscuits t-shirts. The Biscuits were up two runs to one after the first inning. It stayed scoreless until the bottom of the eighth when #16 hit a two-run homer. The game ended with the score Suns 3, Biscuits 2. The Biscuits are in town through Saturday but I will not be. If the weather holds out, I may try to see tonight’s game. My next opportunity to see the Suns will be in two weeks when they have their final home stand of the season with the Birmingham Barons.

No comments: