Saturday, July 19, 2008

Jacksonville Honda Bikini Bike Wash













I'm taking time on weekends to find my way around Jacksonville, Florida. The local Honda motorcycle dealer, Jacksonville Honda on Atlantic Boulevard, was having an open house to celebrate the opening of their used motorcycle superstore. The festivities featured a bikini bike wash, cookout, motorcycle dynamometer runs and a tattoo artist. One young lady with multi-color hair, multiple piercings and many tattoos on her arms and legs, acquired a new tattoo on her left calf. I took no photos of that. What can you ask the girl when you take her picture... "May I photograph your ink?". As Bart Simpson says about tattoos... they're cool and they last the rest of your life. I cannot imagine what I would want as a permanent marker on my skin other than maybe a BMW MotoBunny stick figure. I have noticed a number of tattoo parlors on my route to and from work so there must be a demand for this sort of thing. My favorite ad for a tattoo parlor is a billboard on I-65 south of Louisville, KY for Tattoo Charlie's... "Done While You Wait". I can't imagine that's the sort of thing you can leave to pick up later. I know what they mean but it's humourous nonetheless.

Pirate John, fellow Internet BMW Riders President and resident of Jacksonville, met me at the Honda dealer for an hour of fun and excitement. The dealer had a great selection of Honda 600s and Honda 1000s, some cruisers, some dirt bikes, one Rune but no ST1300s and no scooters. Pirate John and I made our way around the bikes and played "what if I had the bucks". Neither of us do, besides... we're BMW riders to the core.

Teenie was there along with a few other bikini-clad babes and one who must have left hers at home (she must not have gotten the note about the dress code for the day). Burgers and dogs were consumed, bikes were washed and a great time was had by all despite the heat. I joined the bikini babes on the street to help flag down passing motorcyclists for a free bike wash (donations accepted and encouraged). Somehow the girls got more horn honks than I did. Don't these folks know who I am? Guess not.

Pirate John and I had about as much fun we could stand in an hour in the 90+ degree heat, so he mounted his trusty Cannondale and I fired up the Volvo and we both headed on to our respective Saturday fun. I ended up at the newer, larger, second location of Vespa Jacksonville. I was there to see the Vespas, Stellas and Lambrettas and to inquire if anyone at Jacksonville Beach rents scooters. The last scooter rental company went out of the bidness over a year ago but the dealership, whose home location is on the beach highway, offers demo rides each Saturday from 10am to 5pm eastern. The nearest scooter rental is at Daytona Beach. The closest BMW dealer to Jacksonville is in Daytona Beach. Sounds like an excuse for a Saturday road trip.

No comments: